mardi, février 14, 2006

We shall overcome
















I watched "Bloody Sunday" on Arte, yesterday night, for the second time.
Although I tried to concentrate on the details, the emotion was the same. I found myself caught in the action again, all the characters being under a constant strain all over the film. I'm still shivering, thinking of this young para, who nearly compares shooting people at gunpoint to an orgasm.
Somehow, I understand it, because all this growing tension had to be released. The young soldiers sent there were as young the boys they were shooting at. What the fuck did they know about politics or who was pulling the strings? They were just bloody puppets, trained to kill, just like any soldier in the world I guess. IRA people were not shown as heroes either, they just waited, squatted in their car for the situation to get out of hand and to reap the grapes of wrath.

My posts today will be about Ireland. It's a country I fell in love with a long time ago. I even thought of taking another Pratt's character as an avatar, instead of Changai Li. This one, Banshee O' Danann, Corto meets in Dublin after the 1916 Easter Rising and an IRA member. She's the only one Corto asks to leave with him.

She refuses, like Joyce's Eveline, I suppose, tied heart and soul to her green Erin.

Aucun commentaire: